Thursday, October 9, 2008

Picture of the Week


Take a Walk on the Wild Side

One of my favorite places to walk when I do not have unlimited time is Woodlawn Nature Center. With ten acres of wooded trails WNC is a great place to get away from the hustle and buslte of the daily rat race. You can walk or jog, free of the hazaards of traffic, in the sanctuary of the oak canopy while breathing in the oxygen rich air of the forest.

Seasonal wonders from Jack-in-the-Pulpits and Mayapples to a vast variety of colorful fungus will be there for your viewing pleasure. Leave your IPOD off and listen to the music of the forest. Cardnials, Veeries, and Thrushes will serenade you as squirrels scamper about.

The Nature Center also features picnic areas and a natural history museum that is open 3 -4 afternoons weekly.

Woodlawn Nature Center is located at 604 Woodlawn Avenue in Elkhart, Indiana. You can visit their website at http://www.woodlawnnaturecenter.com/ . Take a walk on the wildside at this true haven within the city.

3 comments:

JMO said...

This post is very well written. It's informative, and makes me want to visit this place. I like that you added a link.

Jake D. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jake D. said...

I enjoy this picture, it reminds me of my little 1.11 acres here near Saugany Lake. When I was in the service and was stationed in Southern California I had a chance to visit an arboritum and it made me homesick for Indiana. I occasionally take walks around the lake which is over two miles so I feel right at home looking at this picture.